Saturday, July 4, 2009

Between "the dawn's early light" and "the twilight's last gleaming" there rises the Moon

Happy Fourth of July!
Now, I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me.
BUT I'd rather celebrate music than war! So here are two poems I wrote commemorating this momentous occasion and the realization of our boys' dreams with today's Tokyo Dome performance. Please feel free to leave feedback and expand my vocabulary so I stop describing everything the boys do as momentous.
(P.S. if you don't get the first poem then either you fail as an American or I fail as a writer--more likely the latter.)

A New Reason for Roman Candles

Today we commemorate a momentous event
in the history of the world:
when a small band of brave men
who had crossed an ocean and conquered new horizons,
who had survived setbacks of all sorts and sizes,
took their destinies into their own hands
and claimed victory against all odds.

Today while we explode bright colors to remember
bombs dodged by our forefathers in the heat of battle,
I will take the bloodstained red of fireworks and flag
and twirl them around me in jubilant pride
to remember the day
when a small band of gifted men
achieved that dream for which they fought
and which they earned with sweat and blood
in the home of brave and the land of Rising Sun:
Freedom? No—Tokyo Dome.

And now a bonus song parody:

Star Spangled Boys
(to be sung to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner)

Oh say can you spot through the sea of red light
those whom we loved from our first introduction?
Whose sweet sound and hard work thru their climb to the top
made us all fall in love and secured them their spot?
Now the stage lights will flare as cheers rise on the air
giving proof to the world that our boys made it there!
Oh say do those five stars of red forever gleam
o'er the heads of five men as they live their life's dream?

Thank you for reading my commemorative poems.
Congratulations, TVXQ, for acheiving your goal!

(Proud to be an American lyrics (c) Lee Greenwood)

2 comments:

  1. aww! these 2 poems are great! :D
    i really like the first one! ^^
    You did an awesome job! keep up the good work~ :)

    ReplyDelete